Friday, January 20, 2012

Happy Birthday Daddy-O!

This past weekend we celebrated Wade's birthday.  Memaw and Pepaw came down to visit and the kids loved the company, of course! I was fortunate to have a babysitter to get to take Wade out on a date and we even managed to catch a movie Sunday after church.  It's amazing all the things you take for granted before you have kids.  We hadn't been to see a movie since July so you can imagine how amazing it was to just get out of the house. 

With every birthday, I can see changes and growth, but underneath it all is that same guy I fell in love with eight years ago.  He's different, but he is still the same.  He still knows how to ruffle my feathers with his sarcastic wit; he's smart, and really funny.  I think that's my favorite part; He can still always get a good laugh out of me.

Before the kids came along, it was always so fun when his birthday came.  I loved picking out gifts for him or deciding where I wanted to take him to celebrate his birthday.  But, if I'm being honest, that hasn't happened in a long time.  I'm not sure why it changes, but it does.  And Wade being the sensible easy-going one, never seems to notice.  Or if he does, he sure doesn't say anything.

This year it was the usual "low key event" and we just did dinner with friends and a movie.  Even I think it was maybe "lacking" in the surprise or spontaneous world, but when you never get time together or alone, it can mean everything.  We had a great time out with friends with lots of laughs and the movie was silent and peaceful with no interruptions.

We love our kids more than life, but we never knew how quiet life was before they came and how lovely that can be.  I mean just the simplest act of driving down the road without narrations of every horse, cow, tractor, or bridge kind of blew our minds.  But the greatest part of all is that although we were due some much needed alone time, we are always ready to get back to the little ones we love. 

It was so great spending time with Wade on his birthday.  And, I look forward to many more because I swear he only gets better with time. 

A few highlights from the weekend Included:

  • Owen waking Wade up singing "Happy Birthday"
  • Memaw and Owen making Wade his favorite cake from childhood, a blue cake with blue icing.  I might add that Owen couldn't quit talking about how he didn't get one on his birthday and how he thought it was the greatest thing ever! 
  • Surprising Wade with some good friends of ours at dinner Saturday...It was so much fun to get out.  And, especially without children!  Thank you Memaw and Pepaw!!
  • Wade's friend, JB, standing up in the restaurant and singing Happy Birthday!  It was classic!
  • Playing Goldilocks with the giant couch from Restoration Hardware while we waited the full two hours to be seated.  Cheesecake Factory-you should consider taking reservations.  

Owen helping with the Presents . . . 


This was really cool....it is a "Remember When" book from 1978.











"Happy Birthday To You!" 






DATE NIGHT 



 I mean seriously this couch is Enormous!



 CLASSIC!


No comments:

Post a Comment