Wednesday, May 5, 2010

It comes with the Territory . . .

Seems impossible for me to be twenty six; I don't even feel twenty six. And although I'm sure there are those of you out there who are thinking I'm foolish for even giving it a second thought and would gladly trade places with me, I just want to take some time to reflect on what exactly this means. Twenty six is by no means "old," but it definitely symbolizes a new phase in my life. I am officially leaving my mid-twenties and flirting with the possibility of thirty. Let me be clear that I'm not scared of thirty; I'm just astonished at how fast it's getting here.


My life looks a lot different than it once did. If I had to describe myself and what 26 looks like I would say it's married with a dog, motherhood, a dirty house because of child, trading late nights for early mornings, preferring radio over television, sunscreen instead of tanning oil, holding a zoo membership, eating healthier because maybe I should, dirty diapers, thinking high heels are for special occasions only, squeezing time in for myself, OWEN-OWEN-OWEN-Enough Said, how unless you are another parent . . . it's hard to find a common ground, luxury equals two hours of alone time with the husband, and many more things that still shock me.

It all comes to pass like I've heard it said before. And, we all have our time for certain things. Just four short years ago, I was a newlywed still honeymooning and a college graduate with plans to set the world on fire. "Determined" was an understatement for my approach to life. And looking back now, my life is much different than I pictured it to be. I've totally redirected where my loyalties lie and put all my time and energy into much different things. The things that were once the last on my list are now the first and now my life consists of thinking of someone other than myself.

I know that it is impossible to plan out every single thing in life, but I have what I like to call "the list." Not a bucket list or a to-do list. These two have timelines, which I've learned is pointless. For one, I do not guarantee anything to anyone any longer with a time table because of Owen and that's all I have to say about that. And two, the end isn't something I want to dwell on. I just want to do the best I can every day and leave it at that.

So with that being said, here are a few things I wouldn't mind seeing in my next five years:

• Five wedding anniversaries
• A new baby or two- yep, I said it!
• Smaller house with a bigger yard
• A successful kindergartener
• Run a marathon
• Okay-let's make that a half-marathon; I'm learning to be realistic
• Accepting that being a mother is a real job
• Realizing that I'm not missing out; Instead, I'm putting in
• A trip to Washington, D.C.
• Be a good listener
• Be a better friend
• A new truck for Wade
• Patience- Definitely this one for Owen's sake and the other little Butlers, although I think it's a stretch.
• Laugh until it HURTS!! . . . often
• Learn to let myself off the hook
• Maybe another puppy for Owen (That is if we get the bigger yard)
• Volunteer my time to at least one of the many efforts I love
• Learn to sew
• Never be "too busy" for anyone

And last, quit putting my life on a scale and measuring. Instead, learn to accept it for what it is and make the most of every day. Five years from now, I hope I'm still shaken by tragedy and moved by compassion. I hope I will have stopped chewing on everything until there's no flavor left and just take life for what it is. I want to take refuge in life's simple pleasures and not get caught up in the things that really don't matter.

Most of these things are small, but they are huge in perspective. Like I said, the sky will still be blue whether these things happen or not, but its fun to think of all the things that might be and take time out to think about some things that are important to me.

1 comment:

  1. I am doing a half marathon in September with Mrs. Debbie...you should def do it with us! It's just women, $50 registration. We can do it, please say yes!!

    ReplyDelete