My little stinker is Growing, Growing, GROWING! And, I don't know how it is happening or where the time is going. We went to the doctor last Tuesday for his 15 month check-up. It was the usual routine with all the measurements, questions about growth and development, and yes, the dreaded shots. We got a fantastic report from the doctor. He weighed in at 30 lbs on the dot and is now 35 inches tall, which makes him still officially well over the 100% range. When she showed me where he was on the graph, Owen is still well above average and is beginning to make his own curve on the chart.
The doctor felt good about his development and speech and said that he is right on track with everything. I told her all the words that he saying now, which include Mommy, Daddy, Bye-Bye, Baby, Yes, Dog, Guitar, Paw-Paw, and Bubble. We talked about how he has started following demands like telling him to take something somewhere or to sit and things like that. His diet is good with a full range of fruits and vegetables, and by his size, it's obvious he isn't missing any meals. All in all, he got an A plus from the doctor.
The most awesome part of our visit was a conversation with the doctor about how much I am growing to love him. Now, don't get me wrong, I have loved him since the first time I ever laid eyes on him. But, it is crazy how much I love him now. I talked with her about how much he blew me away with picking up on new things and how settled he seems in his life. And, after rambling on and on, she paid me the ultimate compliment as a new mother. She simply said that it shows he has a secure home life and that he trusts that certain things are always going to happen. And when he needs or wants them, he always knows he can count on us to do it.
I had no response. It brought tears to my eyes to know that he really feels that way. She said that between now and three years old is when you really fall in love with your children. And the reason for that is because they become more mature and begin to reciprocate the love you show them. When they are infants they are in survival mode and everything is of a selfish nature. But now, he can begin to show that he loves me back. And boy, does he ever. He wants to be picked up, held, and as close as he can possibly get. And, he always kisses me goodnight without fail. If I'm sitting somewhere, he crawls up in my lap. And if I wonder off, it's not five seconds until I hear little footsteps following me.
He is so special to me and I just absolutely adore him! Things are better than ever and I have a new peace in knowing that he knows just how much that he is loved. And as strange as this sounds, I have often wondered if this was something that he knew. Sometimes it's tough because part of parenting is doing a lot of things you don't want to do, like the discipline and correcting. And, there have been times when I've feared he would hold it against me or even stay upset. But, what I've learned is that loving him requires the good with the bad, and although he will always know we do love him, he will never really understand to the extent that we do. Or at least not anytime soon. It will be many days from now and most likely, it will be when he is all grown up with children of his own facing these same questions.
All I know, is my heart is no longer mine. And, as much as I thought I knew who I was and how far I would go to protect someone, I never dreamed it could be possible to love someone so much. Owen has turned me into something I never knew I could become and I am so smitten with him. I love watching him grow, but I already miss the time that has passed us by. I'm trying hold on, but not too tightly. But more than anything, I'm making sure that he gets the very best that I have to offer him and I leave nothing for regrets.
Wade and I are so blessed to have found each other in our lifetime. And, the love we have can't be measured. You take what already existed between us and add a little Owen to it, and you've got yourself a big ole ball of happiness. It's hard sometimes to find the words to explain what this feels like. And, the only thing that always comes to mind is THANKFUL. I am so very thankful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment