Wednesday, March 31, 2010

D-O-G

Most everyone has heard of the DVD series, "Your Baby Can Read." Well, Wade and I were a little skeptical, but thought that it would be fun to give it a try anyways. The deal is that you show a video and you do a series of flashcards that go with it. We usually do the video everyday and as soon as it comes on, Owen lights up and starts dancing. He loves it! The video is pretty simple with common everyday words to help get him more familiar with the world around him. It has words like nose, ears, diaper, baby, etc.

Although we usually watch the video daily, the flashcards are a little harder for us. We are lucky if we get to them at least once a week. Owen is really funny about it. I usually keep the book and cards downstairs in a trunk. And on several occasions, he has found them and brought them to me to do with him. I read to Owen a lot, but he gets too restless to make it through a whole book. He really likes the pictures more than anything and a lot of the times I will just make up a short story to go with them to hold his attention. Owen prefers the flashcards over a book and I guess it's because it has a picture to go with every word.

Two weeks ago, Owen saw the cards on the mantle and pointed like he wanted to do them. So, I pulled them out and began to point and read the words and then I would show him the picture that goes with it. The first word was "tiger" and the next was "mouth." By the time I got to the third one and showed it to him he said a word as clear as day, "Dog?" And, my heart stopped. I didn't want to make too big of a deal because I just knew I was making myself hear what I wanted. So, I proceeded to show the picture and tell him good job and carry on.

Not knowing if I was crazy or if what I just heard was the truth, I put the card back in and went through them all over again. And much to my surprise, when we got to that card, Owen did it again. He said, "Dog!!" And, I just about fainted. I mean it's hard to even talk about it because it seems so impossible that he would actually be able to comprehend something like that. Now don't get me wrong when I show him the word and when he hears it he will usually act it out, but he never actually read the word before seeing the picture. I was so impressed.

His little mind blows me away. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to say that he is some little brainiac or something, but I now have proof that they pick up on more than we realize. They are little sponges just waiting to soak everything up. It's one small step towards something wonderful, and I am so proud of him!! I want him to learn and grow, but I also want him to play and just be a little boy too. I think too much of anything is a bad thing. So, we are going to work on a nice balance.

I am SO proud of Owen and everything that he accomplishes everyday! He is one very bright little guy and I am so excited watch him grow and learn!



Not sure if it matters or not, but the dog in the picture shows a close resemblance to Murphy.  Regardlesss, I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment